Bread pudding is one of the favorite desserts of many families. Stale bread can easily be converted into this delicious dessert without much effort. But what if you have some leftover bread putting? Does bread pudding need to be refrigerated?
It is fun to make bread pudding. It is easy to make with just stale bread, sugar, butter, milk, and some flavorings. It is the best way to put stale bread to good use.
Since it has milk, butter, and eggs, many people assume bread pudding should be eaten immediately after it is made. Can you store leftover bread pudding? Does bread pudding need to be refrigerated? Yes, bread pudding needs to be refrigerated.
What is Bread Pudding?
Bread pudding is a well-loved dessert. Traditional bread pudding is made of stale bread, eggs, sugar, butter, vanilla essence, and milk. All ingredients are mixed and baked for about 20 minutes at 300- degrees.
There are some variations to the traditional bread pudding including:
- Dark chocolate bread pudding
- Caramel bread pudding
- Pineapple bread pudding
- Pumpkin bread pudding
- Apple cinnamon bread pudding
There are many more varieties of traditional bread pudding based on the additional ingredients included in the dessert.
Does Bread Pudding Need to be Refrigerated?
Yes. Bread pudding needs to be well-packed and refrigerated.
Bread pudding contains butter, eggs, and a lot of milk. These ingredients allow the pudding to be super moist. As you probably know, eggs and milk easily spoil when left at room temperature. Additionally, sugar, moisture, and room temperature make the best conditions for the growth of microbes.
You should, therefore, not leave your bread pudding at room temperature for over 2 hours. If you do not place your pudding in the refrigerator, it will quickly have molds.
You can store your bread pudding in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. After 2 days in the refrigerator, your bread pudding will start to dry out.
If you, however, pack your bread pudding in a plastic bag or an airtight container, without any air as possible, it can last for up to 5 days.
Keeping your bread pudding in the refrigerator the right way will make it fresh like newly-baked pudding.
How do you Refrigerate Bread Pudding?
After baking, bread pudding can be a bit dry. When you refrigerate it, you need to stop it from drying further.
The best way to store bread pudding is in an airtight container and in the refrigerator. The refrigerator will keep your pudding fresh and not return to its stale bread state. Bread pudding in the refrigerator can last for up to 5 days.
Cool your leftover bread pudding, place it in an airtight container, and refrigerate it. Placing leftover bread pudding in a freezer bag will do good, too.
You can also wrap leftover pudding in a plastic wrap. The plastic wrap prevents the bread pudding from drying out much better than when placed in a container or freezer bag.
Many people prefer to keep their bread pudding in an airtight container because it is easier to store in the refrigerator.
If you need to store a whole cake, you can place it in a cake carrier.
Here are some tips on how to prepare your bread pudding before keeping it in the refrigerator:
- Your leftover bread pudding should be compact in the container. A lot of free space in the container will make your pudding dry out fast.
- Thoroughly cool down your pudding before placing it in the container or bag. If it has not completely cooled, there will be condensation and water will drop into your pudding.
- If your bread pudding comes out super moist, place it on paper towels before refrigerating. The paper towels will get rid of any excess moisture so your pudding will not have a soggy bottom. Paper towels will work well in both the container and plastic bag.
It is also important to place your pudding in the part of the refrigerator where it is far from salty and bitter foodstuffs. These foodstuffs can ruin the flavor and taste of your pudding, something like a weird or mixed kind of taste.
Here is the right way to keep your bread pudding in the refrigerator:
- Allow newly-baked or leftover pudding to completely cool.
- Wrap your pudding in aluminum foil or plastic food wrap
- Place your bread pudding into an airtight container or freezer bag. If your pudding has any custard, cream, or sauce, store them in a separate container.
- Tightly fit the cover of the container.
- Place the airtight container into an isolated space in your refrigerator.
Remember your pudding is safe to eat up to 5 days when you first place it in the refrigerator.
Throw your bread pudding when you notice any signs of mold growth or the pudding giving an off or sour smell.
If you want your bread pudding to last longer, place it in the freezer.
Can you Freeze Bread Pudding?
Yes, you can freeze bread pudding. Although it is made with delicate ingredients, it surprisingly freezes well. If bread pudding can last in the refrigerator for up to 5 days, in the freezer it can last for up to 3 months.
Allow your pudding to cool down to room temperature before placing it in the freezer. Freeze only the bread pudding. If you made any sauce or cream, place them in a separate container. You can either refrigerate or freeze the sauce or cream.
Bread Pudding Recipe
This is the recipe for traditional bread pudding.
- Stale bread 1 loaf and cut into small cubes
- Milk, 4 cups
- Eggs, 5 pieces
- Granulated sugar 1 cup
- Butter 2 teaspoons
- Ground cinnamon 1 teaspoon
- Vanilla Extract 1 teaspoon
- Raisins 1/2 cup, soaked in hot water
- Preheat the oven for 10 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Coat an 8-inch baking pan with butter.
- Spread the cubed bread into the baking pan.
- In a mixing bowl, mix eggs, sugar, milk, salt, vanilla extract, cinnamon.
- Blend the ingredients thoroughly with a wire whisk.
- Add drained raisins to the mixture.
- Add a little butter on top of the mixture.
- Allow the mixture to soak for 15 minutes.
- Place your bread pudding in the preheated oven and bake for 20 minutes or until the top looks crusty.
- Cool the pudding before serving.
You can leave leftover bread pudding on the countertop for up to 2 hours after which you need to keep it in the refrigerator or freezer.
Think twice before throwing stale bread into the bin. You can still give it a new life by turning it into a delicious dessert – bread pudding.
If for some reason you will have some leftover bread pudding, do not allow it to stand at room temperature for over 2 hours. After this time, microbes and molds will get into it.
Does bread pudding need to be refrigerated? Yes, it does. After 2 hours at room temperature, you should keep bread pudding in an airtight container or plastic bag and refrigerate it.
Your bread pudding will stay fresh in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. You can also keep your pudding in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Have you tried making bread pudding with stale bread? Did it remain fresh in the refrigerator for up to 5 days? Share some of your thoughts in the comment section.
Read also our another comprehensive guide of: Can You Make Pudding With Water