Meatloaf is one of the family favorite dinners. It is hearty, delicious, and easy to make. But you have meatloaf from yesterday and wonder, ‘how long does meatloaf last in the fridge?’
Properly stored food will last three to four days in the refrigerator. If you want to extend this cooked food’s shelf life further, you need to freeze it.
Remember to store it in tightly closed containers or freezer bags. You can also wrap it tightly with aluminum foil or freezer wrap.
You can keep cooked meatloaf in the fridge to retain its good taste. But it only stays fresh for three to four days in the fridge. Thus, freezing is one of the perfect ways to preserve this dish.
Whether it’s store-bought or homemade meatloaf, you can toss it in the fridge, and it can stay at its best for several days. But if your food has been defrosted in the microwave or cold water, you should consume it immediately.
Furthermore, both leftover and uncooked food can freeze well up to two to three months frozen, although this can reduce their taste.
|Cooked||From 2 to 3 months||From 3 to 4 days|
|Uncooked||From 2 to 3 months||From 1 to 2 days|
Of course, proper freezing is also essential to keep your food safe until its subsequent use. Here are all the steps needed to freeze your meatloaf.
Here is a step-by-step guide to freezing the cooked one.
Step 1: Let it cool completely before freezing it in your fridge.
Step 2: Cut your cooked dish into bite-sized slices.
It is alright to freeze a whole meatloaf. However, the chances are high that you will get results that may be disappointing you. The reason is that you will need more time to defrost and reheat, causing the meat to become drier.
Step 3: Wrap each slice using plastic wrap or aluminum foil.
Step 4: Put the wrapped slices into your freezer bag.
Step 5: Remove as much air as possible by squeezing the bag.
Then, seal the mouth of the bag.
Step 6: Label a freezing date on the bag and place it in the freezer.
Here are the steps to freeze your uncooked food:
Step 1: Prepare the ingredients according to your favorite recipe.
Step 2: Shape and portion your meat mixture to your liking. For example, you can make muffin-sized meatballs.
If you would like to bake your meat on the following day, it is best to keep it refracted in a sealed container.
Step 3: Cover the loaf with aluminum foil and place it in a freezer bag. After that, remove as much air from the bag as possible. Finally, seal the bag.
Step 5: Label a freezing date on the bag and place it in the freezer.
Our food will not dry out after reheating by following the instructions below.
Using an (electric or gas) oven to heat food is most commonly used by households. It is the perfect way to reheat your dish, no matter how dry, moist, or crispy you like it. Here is how it works:
- Preheat your oven to 250°F.
- Place your food on an oven-safe plate.
- Add a tablespoon of water. You can use beef broth for a better taste. Then, cover it with some aluminum foil.
- Heat your food in the oven for about 25 to 30 minutes, or until your food is thoroughly warmed.
The steaming method allows you to retain more moisture in your dish after reheating. Here is how it works:
- Add 1 or 2 inches of water to your pan and place over low heat.
- Once you see the boiling water, you need to slowly lower your food in the steamer basket.
- Cover the pan and wait a few minutes until it heats evenly.
It is wise to reheat your leftover slices in a skillet. You should not set the heat too high to produce moist results. Here is how it works:
- Place the (the nonstick or cast iron) skillet on the stove’s top over medium-low heat. You should add a little vegetable oil for the best results.
- Add your slices and lower the heat.
- Wait about three to four minutes. Then flip it and do the same to the other side.
- If you find your pan begins to dry, add a little beef broth for some moisture.
Microwaving is a great and most popular way to reheat most food, including your meatloaf. However, you need to do it right. Specifically, you have to cover your food. Otherwise, it may dry out during reheating. Here is how:
- Place your slices in a microwave-safe container and place the lid on it.
- Reheat it in the microwave for one to two minutes.
- Flip the slices and microwave for an extra minute or two.
Here is the way to check whether your meatloaf goes bad:
- Look: If you detect any change in the appearance of your food, such as mold and black spots on its surface, you should throw it away.
- Structure: If you notice your food has a slimy or mushy texture, it may have been spoiled.
- Odor: You can also test your meatloaf by smelling it. It may have gone bad if you detect rotten smells like ammonia, sulfur, or acid.
We recommend eating them within 3 to 4 months for the best flavor.
It is best to use it immediately.
You can keep both cooked and uncooked meatloaf in the refrigerator for three to four days. But make sure you do it right to keep its great taste. After defrosting it, it’s best to enjoy it right away.