Have you ever wondered how many ounces a sweet potato weighs? This question seems useless, but it has great significance in processing dishes from sweet potatoes.
Nowadays, there are many ways for you to cook a sweet potato into a beautiful dish. The following article will answer: How many ounces does a sweet potato weigh and what methods they can be prepared?
How Many Ounces Does an Average Sweet Potato weigh?
The weight of sweet potatoes in each region will be different. It is affected by many factors: temperature, climate, type of potato, and nature. So, to make it easier to determine the average weight of sweet potatoes, you can classify potatoes.:
- It weighs about 2.1 ounces (60 grams) with a diameter of 1.75 inches and a length of about 4 inches.
- Medium sweet potato: It has an average weight of 5-10 ounces (140-280 grams). Their diameter is approximately 2 inches, and their length is 5 inches.
- Large sweet potato: It weighs 6.3 to 12 ounces (180 grams) with a diameter of about 2.5 inches and a length of 5.75 inches.
What is the Shelf Life of Sweet Potato?
The shelf life of sweet potatoes is necessary. Because it directly affects the quality of potatoes.
Baking sweet potatoes (how long to bake potatoes at 375) requires careful inspection. With the potatoes, it will be hard and bitter, and you won’t be able to use them.
So, how long is the shelf life of sweet potatoes?
On average, the storage time of sweet potatoes will range from 3-5 weeks. You can extend the shelf life up to 3 months in the refrigerator.
This period can be much more extended, up to 6 months, without too much impact on the quality of potatoes.
However, you should not store potatoes for too long because they will not retain their natural sweetness and softness.
Benefits of Sweet Potato for Human Health
It is not enough if you say that sweet potatoes only provide fiber and common starch. Sweet potato is a dish that provides you with a great source of nutrients to help nourish and protect your body.
- Sweet potatoes are an antioxidant that provides about 65% of ascorbic acid.
- It contains a considerable amount of fiber, which effectively supports the digestive system and promotes the growth of beneficial bacteria in the gut.
- It provides about 76.9% of vitamin A daily, significantly improving the user’s vision.
- It contains some active ingredients with extremely effective anti-cancer properties, boosting immune health
Although it is perfect for our health, we can hardly eat sweet potatoes for many days in a row. Surely you will be bored after only about 3 to 4 days of continuous use of potatoes.
To change the taste people eat, to help users feel more appetizing, they can flexibly use many different sweet potato processing methods.
Here are 6 ways to cook sweet potatoes that you can refer to.
How To Cook Sweet Potato?
Baking is the first method you can choose to cook sweet potatoes. It will help your sweet potatoes stay naturally sweet, not mushy and soft. The heat you need to bake the potatoes is about 400 degrees F.
The baking time can be up to 50 minutes, but it makes up for a beautiful dish. You will be addicted to it from the very first use.
You need to poke holes in the stem of the sweet potato during the baking process. It will help the potatoes not to crack or burst due to steam.
Cut sweet potato and put a little butter inside to enhance the dish’s flavor. Also, you need to check the potatoes regularly, so they don’t burn.
Using the Microwave
If you only use your microwave to reheat fried rice and food, you’re missing out on great use of this appliance: baking potatoes.
You will not spend too much time processing potatoes and creating a delicious dish.
To cook this dish, you need to prepare metal plates or skewers. Then place your skewers in the microwave and set the cooking time to 4 and 6 minutes on high power.
To improve the taste of this microwaved potato, you can use more cheese or butter. The aroma of cooked potatoes will make it hard to resist this dish.
Using steam is also known as steaming. With this method, you don’t need to peel the sweet potatoes. You can follow these steps to boil the potatoes:
- Step 1: Wash the sweet potatoes
- Step 2: Put the potatoes in a steamer filled with water. The water level is about ½ inch.
- Step 3: Boil for 40 to 50 minutes until the potatoes are fully cooked.
The size of the potato will affect the steaming time. So, you can change for the most suitable time.
Boiling is the simplest method for you to cook sweet potatoes. To do it, you must prepare a white water primer and wash the potatoes.
Then put them in the pot and cook for about 35-40 minutes. You can check that the potatoes are cooked by poking them with a chopstick. If you can drive it quickly and find it soft enough, that’s when the potatoes are done.
If boiled potatoes are your appetizer and dessert, french fries should become your main dish. To do this, you need to follow these steps:
- Step 1: Wash and peel the sweet potato
- Step 2: Slice the potato into 1.2-inch thin slices.
- Step 3: Heat the oil in the pan to 365 degrees F, and then pour the potatoes in
- Step 4: Wait until the potatoes are golden. You can take them out.
Why call this dish a “special dish”? Because not all of us turn to this unique dish. To make it, you can start with these steps:
- Step 1: Cut the sweet potato into the desired shape
- Step 2: Put your sliced, grated sweet potato into your salad bowl
- Step 3: Add lemon to make sweet potatoes do not brown
You can use this dish directly without cooking; you should try it because it will be great.
Although you probably know all 6 ways to prepare sweet potatoes, if you don’t choose the right potatoes, you can never create a delicious dish from sweet potatoes.
So to choose the best sweet potato, you can rely on some of the criteria below.
How to Complete 1 Best Sweet Potato?
First, you must not confuse potatoes with sweet potatoes. Nowadays, many people cannot distinguish these two types of potatoes.
Potatoes are much more starchy and drier than sweet potatoes. At the same time, it won’t be as sweet as a sweet potato.
As for sweet potatoes, they will be orange or red. It is pretty sweet and very soft. You do not buy potatoes with many spots or soft. Because those potatoes are spoiled and have a bitter taste, you won’t be able to eat them.
Hopefully, through this article, you will be able to answer the question “how many ounces does a sweet potato weigh” and cook your sweet potato dishes.
It is one of the foods that are very beneficial for the human digestive system. In addition to providing fiber, it also contains substances that help fight cancer.
So, you should use sweet potatoes regularly to provide yourself with the necessary calories for daily activities.