For many users, crab cakes are one of their great foods.
You can enjoy this dish with many different dishes: potatoes and rice.
Although it is a popular dish, not everyone can master crab cakes, especially frozen crab cakes.
So, how to cook frozen crab cakes?
The following article will guide you through 3 methods to help you cook crab cakes most effectively.
What Does Crab Cake Taste Like?
If anyone has ever eaten crab cakes, surely they will not be able to forget the characteristic flavor of this cake. The cake has a moderate crunch on the outside combined with a soft creamy inside.
You will feel the sweetness and aroma of the cake. It is pretty similar to mayo and crab. Each piece of cake you eat will be a blend of many different flavors.
Therefore, crab cakes have a distinct flavor that can hardly be confused with other cakes.
The inherent flavor of crab cakes is like that, but if you don’t know how to prepare it, it can change the taste of the cake.
Then, indeed your food will no longer taste good. To keep the full flavor of crab cakes and create an attractive dish, you can refer to 1 of 3 cooking methods below.
How To Cook Frozen Crab Cakes?
Pan-frying frozen crab cakes
Pan-frying frozen crab cakes are the most popular method compared to the other two. Because it doesn’t take as much oil as frying or take a long time to wait like baking. At the same time, the outside of the cake is more crispy, and you can serve them with fried rice and other dishes. You will surely enjoy the meal.
To be able to cook this dish successfully, you can prepare the following ingredients:
- Frozen crab cakes
- Non-stick pan
- Vegetable oil or butter
- Tissue paper
- Temperature-adjustable kitchen
After you are fully prepared, you can start frying crab cakes with all the necessary tools. To do this, you need to follow these steps:
- Step 1: Put a spoonful of vegetable oil and butter in a non-stick pan, and adjust the stove temperature to medium-high. This process applies to 2-3 ounces of crab cakes.
- Step 2: Put crab cakes in a non-stick pan. It would help if you spaced each cake about 1 inch apart, so they don’t stick together.
- Step 3: Leave the crab cakes for 3 minutes so that the shell and the meat inside are cooked evenly.
- Then, turn the cake upside down and wait for another 1 minute.
- Step 4: Adjust the stove temperature to medium. Then you turn the cakes over and let them sit for 2 minutes in the pan.
- Step 5: When the cake has turned a beautiful golden color, you must adjust the temperature to 165 degrees F. It is the ideal temperature range for completing the best crab cake.
- Step 6: After the cakes are cooked, remove them to a plate lined with tissue paper. Because then, you can reduce the grease on the cake’s surface.
Tips: Depending on the size of the cake, the frying time can be up to 8 minutes. If you defrost them, the process should only take about 3-4 minutes. Be careful during defrosting because it can ruin your cake.
Deep-fried crab cakes
Deep frying will be your choice if you like the most crispy crab cakes. All the fuel you need to prepare is:
- Frozen Crab Cakes
- Cooking Oil
- Paper Towels
- Plates Temperature-adjustable cookers
Once you have all your tools ready, you can start working. Fry the crab cakes following these steps:
- Step 1: Place your pan over the heat and pour the cooking oil to a height of about ½ inch. It would help to choose a pan with a bottom because it will help the oil boil faster.
- Step 2: Make sure the temperature is between 350 and 375 degrees F
- Step 3: Take the crab cakes out of the freezer and put each piece of cake into the pan
- Step 4: Leave the whole cake in the oil pan for about 2 minutes
- Step 5: You need to use a spoon to turn them over. The cake will automatically rise.
- Step 6: Maintain the temperature around 165 degrees F
- Step 7: Once the cake is made, you can take it out and put it on a paper-lined plate. It helps you absorb oil very well.
Tips: You must leave the frozen crab whole without defrosting with this deep-frying method. Because then it will help the cake to be deformed after frying.
Bake crab cakes
If you have time and want to change the cooking style of crab cakes, you can try baking. The kit you will need to prepare is:
- Frozen crab cakes
- A baking sheet
In addition to the kitchen, you can choose a microwave. This kit is very versatile. It can heat rice, boil chicken thighs, or bake crab cakes. Relying on the ability to adjust the temperature flexibly, it helps users to prepare the most hearty and delicious meal.
Once you have all the tools ready, you can start baking:
- Step 1: Make sure the crab cakes are in the fridge for at least 33 hours before baking
- Step 2: Adjust the oven temperature to 375 degrees F
- Step 3: Spread butter on the baking tray
- Step 4: Place the crab cakes on the baking tray and lightly grease the butter on the surface of the cake
- Step 5: Place your baking tray on the middle rack and bake them
- Step 6: If you want a crispy cake, you can bake it for 2 more minutes
Tips: Baked crab cakes will taste better when not defrosted. Baking time will take about 30-40 minutes. For the best cake, ensure the baking temperature is stable at 165 degrees F.
How To Cook Frozen Crab Cakes In Air Fryer?
Using an air fryer, you can make frozen crab cakes with perfect texture, and don’t worry about oil splashing when deep frying.
To prepare this delicious dish, all you need to qualify is just:
- Frozen crab cakes.
- Air fryer.
Once you’ve prepared all the necessary tools, it’s time to make delicious frozen crab cakes with your air fryer.
- Step 1: Preheat the air fryer by maintaining the temperature between 375 degrees F for 5 minutes.
- Step 2: Put the frozen crab cakes in the bottom of the frying basket. Set the frying timer to 12 minutes or more, depending on the thickness and width of the cake.
- Step 3: After 5 minutes of cooking with the air fryer, check your crab cakes. Depending on the texture and color of the ingredients, the cooking time can be extended by 5 or 8 minutes.
- Step 4: When the outer shell of the crab cake turns golden brown, remove the cake from the fryer.
- Step 5: Add your favorite sauce and enjoy.
Tips: To ensure the crab cakes don’t burn and have a nice texture, you must keep checking during the last 5 minutes of frying.
How To Cook Frozen Crab Cakes In Oven
Pan-frying and deep-frying are the two most popular methods of making frozen crab cakes. But in addition to these two methods, you can also use your oven to make delicious crab cakes.
Here are the items you need to prepare if you want to cook your favorite dishes at home with the oven:
- Crab cakes.
- Oven mitts.
- Butter/vegetable oil.
- Digital thermometer.
- Baking plate.
You will have no trouble making frozen crab cakes with the oven when you follow the instructions below:
- Step 1: Preheat the oven to high heat.
- Step 2: Use cooking spray to moisten the baking sheet. If cilantro is unavailable, you can spread a layer of vegetable oil or butter on the baking sheet.
- Step 3: Place the frozen crab cakes on the baking sheet. Add seasoning according to your taste.
- Step 4: Place the baking sheet in the oven. Bake the crab cakes at 400 degrees F for about 4-5 minutes.
- Step 5: When the crust appears, remove the baking sheet from the oven to flip the cake. Then continue to bake the cake in the oven for about 4-5 minutes.
- Step 6: Use a thermometer to check the temperature in the crab cakes. The cake is cooked only when the internal temperature is 145 degrees F.
- Step 7: Slap the oven, and take the baking sheet out. Use blotting paper to remove excess oil from the cake.
Tips: With frosted frozen crab cakes, it may take a long time to cook in the oven. So make sure to defrost ingredients at least 3 hours before cooking.
How Do You Know Your Crab Cake is Cooked?
How to identify cooked crab cakes is very simple. You need to rely on colors to distinguish them. When the cake is cooked, it will be golden brown.
At the same time, you will hear the sizzling sound of the oil. At that time, you can start putting crab cakes on a paper-lined plate and enjoy this dish.
Note that you must consider the temperature when the cake turns golden brown. Ensure the temperature is around 165 degrees F, which is good for the user’s health.
How Long Can You Store Crab Cakes In The Refrigerator?
Usually, if you don’t freeze crab cakes, you can keep them in the fridge for 3 to 5 days.
If frozen, it can take 1 to 2 weeks longer. With processed crab cakes, you should not leave them for more than 2 days. After this time you should not eat them. The cake may have been stale, no longer ensuring the user’s health.
In particular, you need to smell the crab cakes carefully before using them. If a sour smell appears, your crab cakes are spoiled, and you must not eat them.
Bacteria have grown in them, sure to give you stomach upset and gastrointestinal symptoms.
What Can You Combine Crab Cake With?
Can crab cakes be served with any other dishes? Have. To increase the appetite, you can use crab cakes with many different words: grilled asparagus, coleslaw, mango salad, sautéed corn, watermelon, bell peppers, and baked potatoes.
In addition, you can use more liquid like basic mayo and spicy salsa.
Hopefully, the article on how to cook frozen crab cakes above has given you some more suggestions to try.
For this dish, there are 3 main methods for preparing them.
You can use it with other dishes to create a delicious feeling for yourself. Of course, carefully read and follow the instructions step by step. It will make your cooking job much more straightforward.