Anyone who’s ever cooked meat in a pan knows that it can take a while to cook it properly. What if you want to cook meat in the oven or on the grill? But do you have the time or inclination to babysit the meat?
You could try cooking it in the oven or on the grill, but what about those times when you don’t have either of those options?
One option is to cook your meat in a rice cooker. But, how to cook meat inside a rice cooker?
It’s simple – place the meat in the rice cooker, add all the necessary ingredients to your recipe, add water, and set the timer. Also, stir the meat from time to time. The meat will cook while you take care of other things. When the timer goes off, remove the meat from the rice cooker and enjoy.
|Type of meat
|Cooking time in rice cooker
|Chicken or Turkey
|Beef and other thick meats
How To Cook Meat Inside A Rice Cooker?
Although many people only think of using their rice cooker to make rice, it’s perfect for cooking meat. Learn the ways to cook different kinds of meat.
1. Chicken Or Turkey
Cooking chicken or turkey in a rice cooker can be quick and easy, yet the results are always delicious.
Step 1: Wash your chicken or turkey and cut off any excess fat. Cut it into pieces and place it in a bowl or plastic bag. According to your preference, add the necessary ingredients – garlic, soy sauce, ginger, salt, pepper, etc. Now refrigerate the mixture for about one hour to marinate.
Step 2: Mix some cornstarch with 2 tablespoons of water until the mixture is smooth. Now bring out the marinated meat from the fridge, and put it in the rice cooker. Make sure the cornstarch mixture is thoroughly blended with the chicken. Next, add enough water and stir.
Step 3: Close the cooker’s lead and set it for regular rice cooking temperature. Next, press the start button. You may see steam coming out of the cooker after around 20 minutes. Now set the cooker’s time to 10 more minutes and keep the warm setting.
Step 4: Once the timer goes off, uncover the lead and stir it from time to time. Next, set the timer and cook for another 10 minutes and keep it in a warm setting. Staying in a warm setting will make the chicken delicious. Once cooking is done, serve it to your family and enjoy.
2. Beef-Like Thick Meats
The best way to cook thick meat in a rice cooker is to roast or brown it first in a skillet on the stovetop or grill the meat for a few minutes. The rest of the process is pretty similar to cooking chicken.
However, make sure you roast or grill the surface of both sides of the meat for a few minutes. Once you roast the beef or any thick meat, you can use the sous vide method to the regular cooking method to cook.
For example, you can put the beef in a ziplocked bag with all the necessary ingredients you want to use. Then pour hot water (about 59 °C/138.2 °F) into your rice cooker and turn on the warm button.
Next, place the zip-locked meat in the rice cooker, cover it with the lid, and keep the meat inside the rice cooker for 60 minutes. The timing depends on the cut of the meat. For example, you can cut the meat into smaller pieces. But, a large cut of 500 gm of beef will take around 60 minutes to cook in a rice cooker.
You will need to ensure the temperature remains 54 °C/129.2 °F or more during cooking.
However, the rice cooker will keep that temperature if the warm button is on. But you should also check every 10-15 minutes if the temperature is 54 °C or more.
For the regular cooking method like chicken, you can marinate the meat with all the ingredients and put it in a rice cooker. Then follow the steps used in cooking chicken in a rice cooker.
Rice cookers can help you make perfect, fluffy dumplings in minutes. The rice cookers steamer basket allows you to steam cook dumplings or vegetables easily. If your rice cooker doesn’t come with a basket, you can buy an adjustable metal steamer basket.
Step 1: Fill 1/4th of the rice cooker’s bowl with water. Then cover the lid, turn the cook button on, and bring the water to a low boil.
Step 2: Attach the steamer basket to the rice cooker. However, if you use an adjustable metal steamer basket, put it inside the rice cooker. Make sure the water doesn’t touch the basket’s bottom part. Hence, adjust the water level if necessary.
Step 3: Now, place a parchment paper on the streamer basket to avoid the dumplings sticking to the steamer basket.
Step 4: Add the dumplings to the steamer basket in a single layer. You can even cook the frozen dumplings too. Next, cover the lid and cook the dumplings for 15-20 minutes in steam. However, you may cook a few more minutes for the frozen dumplings to make sure they are fully heated.
How Long To Wait For The Perfect Cook?
When cooking any kind of meat, it is crucial to allow enough time for the meat to cook through fully. And Certain meats take longer to cook in a rice cooker than others. It generally requires around an hour for a perfect cook for ground meat. For poultry or fish, it may require around 30 minutes.
However, the cooking time also depends on the size of the meat and how much water is used. So, the best way to know when the meat is cooked is to use a meat thermometer. It is an inexpensive and easy way to check the temperature of the meat.
You can insert the thermometer into the thickest part of the meat, such as the center. The ideal temperature for cooked ground beef is 160°F. For chicken or turkey, the ideal temperature is 165°F. For a turkey, the ideal temperature is 180 degrees.
Check the following table cooking temperature chart for meats.
|The Ideal Temperature
|Ground meats (beef, lamb, pork)
|Fresh beef, veal, lamb, pork
|Minimum 145°F, 160°F for medium and 170°F for well done
|Ground chicken and turkey
|Fish and shellfish
|To reheat precooked ham
Is Your Rice Cooker Good For Cooking Meat?
A lot of people think that their rice cooker is just for rice. Instead, you can cook a variety of foods. It’s beneficial for cooking meat, and it’s a great way to make sure that you get the best flavor out of your meat.
You just need to add water, ingredients, and your meat to the cooker and set it to cook. That’s all!
A Rice cooker is convenient for cooking meat as it will cook the meat evenly. Also, the rice cooker can help to cut down on the amount of time and energy needed to prepare a meal.
Meat And Rice Cooker Recipes
You can cook different types of meat with different recipes using a rice cooker. But, steamed chicken, the rice meat combo, meat stew, chicken curry, and taco soup are the most common recipes you can try in a rice cooker.
1. Steamed Chicken
One of the best things about a rice cooker is that it is great for cooking steaming meat. It’s because it’s a sealed vessel that holds heat well.
You will need a steamer basket that fits inside the rice cooker to place the chicken.
- Pour the water into the rice cooker and place the steamer basket.
- After that, put the chicken on top of the basket and close the lid. You may also add vegetables and other stuff with the chicken.
- Next, set the timer for 20 minutes and wait for the cooking to be done. Once the timer is off, check the meat’s internal temperature using a meat thermometer. A properly cooked chicken will have a 165°F temperature.
- Let the chicken cool down for five minutes before serving it.
2. The Rice Meat Combo
You can also cook rice and meat together in a rice cooker.
- You will need to put some rice and water in the cooker with proper measurement. For example, you may use one cup of rice and three cups of water in the cooker.
- Next, sprinkle some salt and preferred seasoning.
- After that, throw half of a chicken or a few small pieces of beef or other meat, cover the lid and press cook.
- You may cook it for 30-60 minutes. The juice from the meat will mix with the rice and make the rice tastier.
3. Meat Stew
To make the perfect meat stew, follow the steps.
- Close the cooker’s lid and turn on the cooker.
- Once the rice cooker is heated, add some olive oil and garlic and stir them properly.
- Next, add cubed meat while stirring and cook for a few minutes.
- Add onion and stir. Add potatoes, carrot, pepper, and salt and stir them.
- Then, close the lid and cook for 20-30 minutes. By 30 minutes, meat and potatoes will be tendered.
- Open the lid and add green beans and celery. Close the lid and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Next, add cornstarch slurry while stirring and make the sauce thick.
4. Chicken Curry
If you’re in the mood for a savory and hearty meal, try cooking chicken curry in your rice cooker.
- Put the chicken into the rice cooker.
- Add the necessary spices to the pot, such as turmeric, cumin, and pepper.
- Pour in the desired amount of water and stir everything together.
- Set the timer for 30 minutes and let the cooker do its thing.
5. Taco Soup
Cooking taco soup in a rice cooker is effortless. You will just need to put all the ingredients in the cooker and simmer it using the slow-cooked function. Set the timer for 60 minutes.
The amount of ingredients you can put depends on the cooker size. For example, for a 5.5 cup cooker, you will need-
- 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- Finely chopped ½ onion
- 1 small chicken breast chopped
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- ½ cup of uncooked brown rice
- 14 ½ ounce diced tomatoes
- Low sodium chicken broth, 4 cups
- Chopped carrots, you can take 2 medium-sized carrot
- 1 cup of sweet corn; make sure water is drained
- 1 tablespoon of chili powder
- 1 cup of black beans
- 1 tablespoon of smoked paprika
- 1 chopped avocado
- 2 tablespoons of chopped cilantro.
As we have mentioned earlier, put these ingredients together in the rice cooker and cook for 60 minutes.
- Can you cook a steak in a rice cooker?
Yes, you can cook a steak in a rice cooker. You will need to put the stick in a zipped locked bag and get rid of the air. Next, heat the water in your rice cooker – at 80 to 85°C and put the bag in it. Then keep the warm setting on and leave the steak for 45 minutes.
- Can you cook raw chicken using a rice cooker?
Cooking raw chicken in a rice cooker can be a quick and easy way to prepare dinner. Just put the chicken mixed with light seasoning, fresh herbs, and water. Then, set the timer for 30 minutes, and you’re ready to go.
That’s it! You have now learned how to cook meat inside a rice cooker. It’s a great way to cook meat if you do not have access to an oven or stove or simply want to save some time.
This method of cooking meat is very simple and does not require much effort. All you need is a rice cooker, some meat, and some seasonings. Give it a try the next time you need to cook meat.