Gravy is the most flavorful form of sauce. You can serve it with your favorite mashed potatoes or meats. But what would you do if you didn’t achieve a rich and dark-colored gravy? Do you have any idea how to darken the color of your gravy? Good thing there are simple ways that can help you ease the process and achieve a darker color.
When darkening the gravy color, you can use:
- Dark Molasses
- Soy Sauce
- Instant Coffee Granules
- Worcestershire Sauce
If you have a Kitchen Bouquet or any other dark coloring gravy enhancers, you may also try it. Take note that among all the color enhancers mentioned above, the Kitchen Bouquet works the best. On the one hand, if you don’t have Kitchen Bouquet gravy color enhancers, you may try its copycat recipe.
Follow the easy steps in preparing the Kitchen Bouquet copycat. Aside from that, the ingredients are also easy to find.
What You Will Need;
- Two cups of water
- And a half cup of brown sugar. Use only brown sugar, as it is the main agent to darken your gravy color.
How To Make Kitchen Bouquet Copycat
As mentioned, the instructions for making the kitchen bouquet copycat recipe are easy to follow. You only need to follow four steps.
- Put your pan on the stovetop. Pour the brown sugar gradually. While pouring, make sure to stir it slowly to prevent burnt sugar.
- Wait for a couple of minutes until the sugar turns dark brown. After that, you can add water gradually. Do not forget to stir it while pouring the water. Put the stove into medium heat to boil.
- When the color of the sugar is darker like black, remove the pan from the stove and let it cool.
- In the last step, you will need small bottles or jars. Prior to pouring the cooled sugar into the jar, sterilize it first. Seal it tightly and store it. You can use this mixture whenever your gravy is light. In most cases, a few drops of this mixture will make wonders on your gravy.
Caramel Power Recipe
Another recipe you may try to darken the gravy color is the Caramel Power recipe. Follow the below instructions for more information.
What You Will Need;
- Two cups of brown sugar
- Baking Pan
How To Make Caramel Powder Recipe
Using caramel powder is another way to darken the color of the gravy. Follow the steps mentioned below to make the mixture for the caramel powder.
- Put your baking pan (preferably 10x15x2 inches) on a flat table. Wrap it with foil. Make sure that each edge of the pan is covered.
- Put a medium-sized fry pan or saucepan on the stovetop. Put some oil on it and let it sit for a few minutes. Wipe the oil with a tissue. This will make the saucepan or fry pan non stick. Pour the sugar in the frypan or saucepan. Shake the pan a few times every minute to ensure that it won’t stick. Cook and shake it within ten minutes until the sugar granules turn into syrup.
- Reduce to medium heat while continuously shaking the syrup. Do this until all the sugar granules are dissolved. After about three to five minutes, you will notice changes in the syrup’s color. Ideally, the syrup should have a rich amber color.
- Put the sugar syrup in the pan covered by foil. Disperse it evenly to create a thin layer. BE careful when doing this step as the syrup is still hot. Let it sit for half an hour to cool.
- Once cooled, remove the foil to get the caramel from the pan. Break the cooled syrup into a few small chunks.
- You need to grind the caramel chunks to make them powdery. You can use a food processor.
- Pour the caramel powder into a container. Seal it tightly and store it.
- You can use the caramel powder when needed. You can add at least two tablespoons of the powder to your light-colored gravy.
Pro Tip: You can also use the powdered caramel when preparing your spices. But we prefer to add some tablespoons when preparing the gravy. This takes less time and is easy to do.
Gravy is made from roast drippings or meat-based stocks. We cannot deny how delicious its taste is. But you can’t always prepare a perfect dark-colored gravy. But worry no more. With the tips listed above, you can turn your light-colored gravy into a dark-colored one. Those tips are easy to prepare and only require a few ingredients.If you are a beginner cook and want to impress your friends and family with a rich, tasty, and dark gravy, you can follow the recipes given above. Do not forget to serve your spicy sauce with some spices requested by your visitors and guests.
Good food – Tips:
How To Fix Curdled Soup In Simple WaysHow to Fix an Undercooked Apple Pie