Healthy eating is the new zen lifestyle – low fat, low carb, high protein, high fibers, fresh fruits, and vegetables. In short, a nutrient-packed meal provides energy, vitality, and fuel. Now, in this healthy eating regime, spaghetti squash plays a prominent part in substituting your carby spaghetti.
But what if your spaghetti squash turns watery and mushy while cooking? In such a case, do you need to know how to fix watery spaghetti squash?
To fix the watery spaghetti squash, let the spaghetti squash sit on a cloth or sieve before roasting. Then, pull the seed and pulp and brush with butter, salt, and pepper. Now, place it cut-side-down on a sheet pan to roast at 350 – 400℉ for 45 to 60 minutes. Your watery spaghetti squash is fixed.
Read the article to get detailed instructions on how you can make your watery spaghetti squash all perfect and tips to prevent the watery tragedy.
How To Fix Watery Spaghetti Squash
Spaghetti squash is indeed a delicious addition to your healthy diet. However, it’s not that easy to cook. Often people end up with a watery squash making their effort saddening.
But there are ways to fix your watery spaghetti squash. 6 simple steps; your meal is all-ready with perfect moisture, taste, and flavor.
1. Half-Cook Squash
Half-cook your squash to fix the water. That way, you can get rid of all its excess water. In addition, the half-done process also allows you to add the sauce to it later.
2. Sit On A Strainer Or Cloth
You can also put a heavy object over the squash to bring out excess water. You can also hand-squeeze the squash to drain the water. But the earlier mentioned method is better for draining out the water.
Adding salt is a great way to bring out maximum moisture from the squash. Salt the spaghetti squash, strain it and let it sit for 15 minutes. Salt will absorb the maximum water from it.
4. Pulling Out Of The Seeds And Pulp
Now is the time to scrap the seeds and pulp. Take a fork, and pull out the seeds, pulp, and all soft, moisture parts from the skin.
5. Season Your Squash
Let’s season the spaghetti squash! Brush butter or oil over the squash and sprinkle salt and pepper. Done; your spaghetti squash is ready to be roasted.
6. Roast It Right
Take a sheet pan and place the spaghetti squash cut-side-down to complete the baking. Roast it at 350 to 400℉ for around 45 to 60 minutes. Remember, the duration of baking depends on the size.
To check if it’s appropriately roasted, pierce it gently with a fork. If you find it tender, your spaghetti squash has been roasted right.
7. Scrape And Shred
After roasting the spaghetti squash, bring it out of the oven and let it sit for 5 – 10 minutes to cool down. Now, take a fork, shred the flesh of the squash from the shell, and put them in a bowl.
You may ask what about the sauce – when to add sauce to your spaghetti squash? Well, add sauce after you are done cooking it. Don’t mix it before or during cooking. It will increase the watery portion, leading to watery spaghetti squash.
Instead, pour the sauce over the spaghetti squash after serving it in the bowl. Along with enriching the taste, the sizzling sauce will keep your meal hot for longer. You can also add other garnishes – cheese, chili, mushrooms, etc.
How Can You Prevent Watery Spaghetti Squash?
You know how to fix watery spaghetti squash. But as I believe, precaution is always best. So, why don’t you prevent the tragic incident from happening instead of fixing it?
- Always scoop the seed and pulp from the squash before cooking it. In addition, also remove the softer parts which contain moisture.
- Don’t mix or pour sauce before or during spaghetti squash cooking. It will make the squash more watery. Instead, add the sauce after serving the spaghetti in the bowl.
- Roasting is always a great method for spaghetti squash. During roasting, water entirely evaporates, and let your squash be tender and flavorful.
5 Different Ways To Cook Spaghetti Squash
Spaghetti squash is a healthy vegetable that you can cook in multiple ways. It’s easy to make and delicious to eat.
Let’s see how you can make it with different methods.
|Spaghetti Squash Cooking methods||Duration|
|Oven||45 – 50 minutes.|
|Instant Pot||10 minutes.|
|Microwave||for 15 minutes.|
|Air Fryer||20 minutes.|
|Grill||for 25 – 30 minutes.|
Cooking spaghetti squash in an oven is the most common way to prepare it. It’s easy, and the result is fabulously flavorful.
Let’s check what you have to do.
- Preheat your oven to 400℉.
- Cut the squash in half lengthwise and pull out the seeds.
- Brush each half with olive oil/butter and season with salt and pepper.
- Now, place squash cut side down on a baking sheet.
- Next, roast the squash for 45 minutes to 1 hour until tender.
- Finally, use a fork to scrap the spaghetti from the skin and serve.
2. Instant Pot
If you want to cook in comfort, this popular technique is your thing.
- Slice squash in half and pull out seeds.
- Take a fork and pierce the squash down the middle. Don’t forget to pierce both the slices.
- Take your instant pot, place a steam rack, and pour 1 cup of water.
- Put the squash on the rack – cut side down – and close the lid.
- Set the steam valve to sealing, the pressure cooker on high, and the timer for 10 minutes.
- Bring out spaghetti squash when 10 minutes is over, and let it cool.
- Finally, with a fork, scratch out the spaghetti.
If you are on the run, cooking your spaghetti squash in the microwave is your best course.
- As with all methods, cut the squash in half and spoon the seeds.
- Take a microwave-safe baking dish and place the spaghetti squash cut side on it.
- Pour water until it covers the squash’s bottom.
- Now, bake the squash for 15 minutes at high.
- Bring it out when your squash is soft and tender, and scrape the flesh with a fork.
- Finally, serve.
4. Air Fryer
For healthy spaghetti squash, an air fryer is a perfect method.
- Heat the air fryer to 360℉.
- Slice the squash and pull out the pulp and seeds.
- Drizzle oil or butter and season with salt and pepper.
- Put the squash cut-side-up in the basket, and fry for 20 minutes.
- After bringing them out of the fryer, scrape the flesh with a fork and serve.
If you want to eat smoky-flavored spaghetti squash, grill it. Do you want to know how?
- Preheat the grill to 350℉. Remember, while grilling, use indirect heat.
- As usual, cut it in half and scrape out the seeds.
- Add oil, salt, and butter.
- Place the squash slices inside the grill, cut-side-up, and close the lid.
- Now, grill the slices for 25-30 minutes until soft and tender.
- Scrape out the flesh with a fork.
- Your smoky spaghetti squash is done.
Is Spaghetti Squash Healthy?
Spaghetti squash is full of nutrients and health benefits. It’s rich in fiber, beta-carotene, vitamin C, vitamin B6, and antioxidants. You would be amazed to know that only a cup of spaghetti squash fulfills 9% of your daily fiber requirements.
In addition, spaghetti squash is low in calories. Where a cup of spaghetti provides 220 calories, spaghetti squash contains only 42 calories. Isn’t it great?
So if you are looking for a weight loss meal with all the healthy nutrients, spaghetti squash is your best buddy.
Nutrition Facts Of Spaghetti Squash
Nutrition facts of one cup of cooked spaghetti squash.
You might be interested to read also our another comprehensive article of: How To Keep Spaghetti Noodles Warm In A Roaster: Read Before Inviting A Party
- How to dry out spaghetti squash seeds?
You can dry out the spaghetti squash seeds by laying them out on a paper towel. Make sure you lay them in a single line. Keep them this way in a dry place. After 3 – 7 days, the seeds will totally dry out. Finally, store the dry seeds in an envelope.
- How do you cut spaghetti squash?
Take a broad knife and cut through the tough exterior lengthwise. To remove the strands, use a fork and scrape them out.
Are you still crying about your water spaghetti squash? Well, now you know how to fix watery spaghetti squash.
Half cook the squash; salt and strain the water; remove the seeds and pulp; season with salt and pepper; and finally, roast it at 350 – 400℉ for 45 to 60 minutes. Your watery spaghetti squash is fixed. Now, scrape out the spaghetti and serve with your fav sauce and garnish.
So, why wait; cook and eat this nutrition-packed meal and stay healthy.