Pizza is one of those foods that kids can have as much as they want. It’s always fun to create pizza toppings that make it healthy too. Pizza toppings can be the difference between healthy and junk food, especially when it comes to kids’ meals.
For example, adding veggies to their favorite foods can be one of the best things you can do as a parent to help them grow up eating healthy and learning about nutrition from an early age. That’s why If you’re looking to sneak more veggies into your kids’ diet, it’s time to look past their usual pizza toppings and get creative.
Some great pizza toppings for kids include peppers, mushrooms, onions, olives, and tomatoes. Salami is another good choice because it’s cured meat that isn’t too high in sodium or fat.
Check out these 10 kid-friendly pizza toppings that will make them feel good about what they’re eating, so long as it’s on top of delicious pizza. Best of all, many of these toppings you probably already have in your pantry or can easily find at the grocery store.
What Are Pizza Toppings For Kids?
Pizza toppings for kids are about letting your child have their pizza by choosing the toppings they like best. If they are picky eaters, this will help them feel more in control and less overwhelmed by choices.
Plus, it’s fun to watch them put together their masterpiece. Some healthy pizza topping ideas for kids include olives, pepperoni, mushrooms, peppers, pineapple, and mozzarella cheese. Some other favorites might include ham, turkey bacon, barbecue sauce, or even BBQ chicken.
Putting your kids on pizza is an excellent way to get them excited about eating vegetables. Load it up with as many veggies as you can.
If they’re incredibly picky, try cutting the veggies into smaller pieces so they don’t notice them as much. The more, the better.
- Mushrooms are also an excellent idea for pizza toppings for kids because they have a flavor similar to pizza sauce, and most kids like them.
- Tomatoes are another popular pizza topping for kids.
- For some color, add green or red peppers – both of which come in milder flavors that appeal to children (and adults, too.).
- You can also use broccoli, carrots, onions, garlic, and many more!
Fruit is a great topping choice for kids because it’s healthy and provides a sweet flavor that is perfect on any type of pizza. Apples, bananas, or grapes are healthy pizza toppings kids can enjoy.
- Bananas work well on a pizza because they only require one slice to cover the entire surface of the crust. Bananas are often considered unhealthy but, when eaten in moderation, can also be enjoyed by children.
You can also cut them into thin pieces and sprinkle them over the pizza after it has been cooked. The moistness of the banana helps keep all ingredients together while adding a touch of sweetness at the same time.
- Apples and grapes can be used as an alternative to raisins when making a pizza with meatballs. Apples are sliced thin, so they don’t overwhelm the pizza and provide enough coverage for most pizzas without needing more than two slices.
- Grapes work well with raisins as a vegetarian option on individual pizzas.
- If you choose a pizza with meatballs, consider using oranges instead of raisins because the texture is similar. The acidic quality will balance out some of the fatty flavors found in meat.
- If your child loves pineapple, try topping their pizza with fresh pineapple chunks and drizzling it with honey before cooking. Pineapple alone can overpower the other flavors, but this is easily remedied by adding a few other ingredients, such as bell peppers, red onion, and jalapenos.
- If you want to get creative, mix cilantro with barbecue sauce to create a unique pizza sauce that compliments everything else on the pizza.
- Top off the pizza with a generous handful of sliced avocado to get healthy fats from the fruit without overloading on calories from cheese.
Tips: Fruits like apples and bananas are best when thinly sliced so that there is not too much fruit on each piece which would cause them to lose their crunchiness from being heated too long.
3) Lean Meats
Lean meats make great pizza toppings for kids. Try pepperoni, sausage, bacon, ham, chicken, or beef. Try turkey bacon or pepperoni if you want to get a little fancier.
It’s hard to go wrong with pizza and healthy meat. Add some cheddar cheese, and it becomes an even healthier meal. Meats are low in fat and provide protein, calcium, vitamin D, phosphorus, and other nutrients that help keep bones strong.
It also helps boost immunity because it contains elements that support the immune system. Pizza also contains vitamins A & C, essential antioxidants, and potassium, promoting good heart health.
4) Turkey Sausage
This is one of my favorite pizza toppings for kids. It tastes just like pepperoni, but the texture is a little different. It’s nice and crunchy, unlike most other pizza toppings on this list, so you’ll need to be careful not to burn it.
Plus, since it’s healthier than most other options, you can feel good about what your kids eat.
The only thing to remember is that they won’t eat as much pizza with turkey sausage as they would with pepperoni because it doesn’t have as much flavor. So if you want them to eat more pizza, use another topping instead.
5) Grilled Chicken
Grilled chicken is an excellent option if you are looking for healthier pizza toppings for kids. Grilled chicken and some light cheese will offer the protein that a growing child needs.
As a bonus, it tastes delicious. A small piece of grilled chicken with mozzarella or cheddar cheese has fewer calories than other pizza topping ideas for kids, like pepperoni or ham. It’s also effortless to make at home on the grill.
Shrimp is a great pizza topping for kids because they’re inexpensive, and you can use them in various ways. Not only do they make a delicious pizza topping, but you can also use them as the crust of your pizza instead of traditional dough.
This provides extra protein and omega 3s to your child’s meal. It will also save you money if you buy the shrimp already shelled. If shrimp isn’t their thing, You can also use it on tacos or salads.
Fish is a good option for kids as it is a lean protein and full of omega 3’s, which are great for brain development. There are wide varieties, such as tuna, anchovies, herring, mackerel, sardines, and trout. These can be served on top of the pizza with lemon juice or oil for extra flavor.
Some toppings that work well with fish include tomato sauce, black olives, capers, sun-dried tomatoes, cilantro, red onion, and artichoke hearts. Other seafood options include shrimp, scallops, crab meat, and squid.
A topping idea would be combining the fish with a cream cheese spread. Mix cream cheese, herbs, and lemon juice until smooth. Spread this mixture onto your pizza crust before adding any other toppings.
8) Black Beans
Try topping your pizza with black beans for a protein boost and extra fiber. Black beans are also rich in antioxidants, folate, and potassium. Add some fresh diced tomatoes and chopped cilantro for a delicious, healthier meal.
Plus, black beans are affordable if you want to cut down on expensive toppings like sausage or pepperoni.
If your kids prefer meatless pizzas, try adding roasted butternut squash instead of ground beef for another vegetable that provides tons of nutrients.
Edamame is a soybean that has been boiled and salted. It can be found in the frozen section of most grocery stores and can easily be added to pizza as a healthy topping for kids.
Edamame is high in protein and fiber, making it an excellent snack. Plus, they’re much less messy than something like whole nuts. If your child needs more flavor, try adding some nutritional yeast.
Kids love pizza, but it can be tough to find a pizza topping that is healthy for them. Quinoa is one of the best toppings you can choose for your kids’ pizza.
Quinoa comes from a plant and has a nutty taste that kids will love. It’s also an excellent source of protein, which will keep them full and prevent overeating or snacking on unhealthy things.
You can buy pre-cooked quinoa in most grocery stores or cook it yourself by boiling 1 cup of quinoa with 2 cups of water. When the water boils and evaporates, reduce heat and cover until done (about 15 minutes).
Let it cool down slightly before stirring in butter, salt, lemon juice, and black pepper. Alternatively, combine cooked rice or quinoa with chopped parsley for a great pizza topping for kids.
How To Choose Pizza Toppings For Kids?
Pizza is a classic and easy-to-customize dish, but choosing the best pizza toppings for kids can be tough. Here are some key points that you should keep in mind while choosing pizza toppings-
- Nutrition value: Choosing pizza toppings with various flavors and colors will ensure that your child gets a balanced diet.
- Allergies: Kids might have allergies to certain pizza toppings, such as nuts, so make sure you know what they’re allergic to before choosing.
- Calories: Keep track of how many calories each pizza topping contains when looking through different recipes.
- Smell: Choose pizza toppings that won’t smell bad if they don’t get cooked through.
- Making pizza dough from scratch vs. store-bought dough: Making pizza dough from scratch is healthier than using store-bought dough because most store-bought dough contains processed white flour. Homemade pizza has more flavor, too.
- Trying new things: Be adventurous and try new combinations of toppings like ham, pineapple, pepperoni, and eggplant. Pizza is not just for adults.
- Building a nutritious plate: Ensure your children’s plate includes three-quarters of vegetable matter.
- Cost: When thinking about pizza toppings for kids, consider whether you want to spend more money on higher-quality ingredients or just opt for cheaper ones.
We hope you’ve enjoyed these ideas for healthy pizza toppings for kids. Whether your child is a picky eater or already an adventurous eater, we have something for everyone. If you have any ideas, please share them in the comments below so we can all get creative in the kitchen.