Arranging a pizza party for a celebration is always my favorite – and this time, it’s my dream job. So, it demands something special – a striking and tasty pizza. And that’s when my friend Toledo-style pizza.
But what is Toledo-style pizza?
In short, Toledo-style pizza is a mashup of Chicago-style deep-dish pizza, frequently baked in a deep-dish cake pan. However, the pizza stands out from the competition thanks to its thick and crunchy crust, generous toppings of cheese and sauce, and subtle caramelization.
Do you require more detail? Why not then read the entire article?
What Is Toledo Style Pizza?
Toledo-style pizza is a deep-dish pizza baked in a cake pan.
It combines with a Chicago-style deep dish, which has a thick crust and crunchiness and includes a lot of toppings, cheese, and sauce in addition to a little caramelization of the cheese. Additionally, the crust will impart a buttery flavor that will make it distinct from regular ones.
Now, you might wonder, “Where can I get Toledo-style pizza?”
Well, there are a lot of restaurants in Toledo that will offer you options for Toledo-style pizza. Even in some establishments, Keto dieters can order and enjoy Toledo-style pizza.
What Makes Toledo Style Pizza Unique?
Let’s change the question into what is not unique about Toledo-style pizza.
Everything about Toledo-style pizza, from the crust to the topping, is different from regular ones, which will definitely make you fall in love with it.
Let’s dig deeper into this unique deep-dish pizza.
An important aspect that makes Toledo-style pizza unique is that the dough is usually fried.
Furthermore, the thick crust on Toledo-style pizza is made using butter to create an intense buttery flavor. The crust will also give you a lot of crunch and flakiness by adding a little cornmeal, which could give your pizza an extra-special taste.
A regular pizza starts with tomato sauce, cheese, and toppings. But, when assembling the Toledo-style pizza, the sauce is piled on top of the cheese, which is placed directly on top of the crust. Thus, it prevents other toppings from burning for as long as possible.
Additionally, the pizza is typically topped with a huge amount of mozzarella cheese, setting it apart from regular ones.
Trust me, this cheesy delight is all you want on your plate.
Toledo-style pizza has a completely different sauce than traditional pizza sauce, described as sweet, thick, and bursting with flavor. However, in many places, this pizza contains fresh, hot Italian sauce accompanied by garlic.
How To Make Deep Dish Pizza Toledo Style?
Of course, you can enjoy a Toledo-style pizza in many pizzerias. However, if you want to make it home, go for it – it’s really simple.
The first step in preparing a dish is gathering all the ingredients. Consequently, you might need to use the following ingredients to make deep-dish pizza in Toledo style.
For pizza crust and toppings
For pizza sauce
Follow the steps to make the Toledo-style pizza perfectly.
- Take a deep dish skillet, preferably a 9-inch cake pan.
- Mix the flour, cornmeal, salt, sugar, and yeast in the bowl of your stand mixer.
- Add melted butter and warm water.
- Knead the ingredients gently until they start to become moistened.
- Once done, cover the bowl tightly with aluminum foil and allow it to rise in a warm environment for 1-2 hours or until doubled in size.
- When the dough is ready, split it in half, roll the two pieces into balls, and then replace them in your greased bowl.
- Cover with aluminum foil and let the dough rise in the refrigerator for one hour.
- In the meantime, melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the salt, oregano, red pepper flakes, grated onion, and garlic.
- After 6 minutes, add tomatoes and sugar.
- Set low to medium and allow it to simmer for 30 minutes.
- After that, ensure that the dough fits snugly inside the cake pan by pressing it with your fingers.
- Apply olive oil to the dough’s top edges.
- stuffed with cheese, bacon, and sauce.
- Set the oven to 220 to 430 degrees Fahrenheit for preheating.
- After preheating, bake for 20-28 minutes or until the crust is golden brown.
- Rest it for 10 minutes.
- Finally, serve and enjoy.
Stuffed Pizza Vs. Deep-Dish: Pick the Best
Let’s discuss the difference between stuffed pizza and deep-dish pizza.
Despite being different from each other, stuffed pizza dough is pressed-up on the edges of a deep pan, which is similar to Chicago deep-dish pizza.
However, stuffed pizza will be a good choice for you if you enjoy cheese, but deep-dish pizza is a good choice if you prefer more flavor from the cheese and sauce.
So, which one do you choose to enjoy with your closest friends?
History Of Deep Dish Toledo Style Pizza
Chicago-style deep-dish pizza reportedly originated in 1943 at Pizzeria Uno in Chicago, where the founders Sewell and Riccardo made it possible to add extra sauce and toppings. From then on, deep-dish Toledo-style pizza became popular, quickly becoming prominent in American cuisine.
However, one of the best deep-dish restaurants is Gino’s East, which opened in 1966 and offered the best deep-dish Toledo-style pizza. Aside from that, nowadays, a large number of eateries have popped up that serve pizza made in Toledo with enticing toppings.
Are you still confused about Toledo-style pizza? Well, I am not any longer.
A Toledo-style pizza is Chicago-style-based deep dish pizza with a raised, crispy thick crust. The pizza offers more cheese and sauce on top of the toppings, making it unique and delightful.
So, if you want to try something different or surprise your friend with an unforgettable treat- Toledo-style pizza is my super call.