White Mold on Sausage: Can You Eat It?

Rate this post

Is your sausage moldy? If so, it’s not the end of the world. In fact, it’s not unusual to find white mold on sausage.

While, in most cases, molds on any food items are scary, mold on sausage is not terrifying. Usually, white mold can be seen during the curation process.

However, having white mold is a good sign, which means your sausage curation is going very well. You can wipe it off after done with the curing.

This article will discuss everything about white mold on sausage casing and what to do.

Common Mold Types on FoodIssues
AlternariaCan cause severe asthma
AspergillusWith weakened immune systems, breathing in Aspergillus may cause infection in lungs
CladosporiumMay cause allergies
FusariumCan cause mycotoxicosis
PenicilliumMay cause allergic reaction to those with weak immune system
Mucor or black fungusMay affects the lungs, sinuses, skin, and brain

What Is The White Stuff On Dried Sausage?

What Is The White Stuff On Dried Sausage

The white stuff on dried sausage is called mold. For your information, mold is a type of fungi that can grow on food. Although mold can make the food unsafe to eat, the white stuff on dried sausage is not harmful to eat. Perhaps, it is a good one, most likely a healthy mold.

Nevertheless, the white stuff can be something else altogether. For example, it might be corn starch used for anti-caking.

Sometimes, the anti-caking powder is used in sausage to maintain dryness. As a result, sausage won’t stick together. So, if you see the white stuff on your dried sausage, this can be anti-caking power.

The white stuff can also be wheat or maize-based flour. These are also used in dried sausage to keep the sausage from sticking. Moreover, the flour gives the sausage a crusty surface.

Further, there is also the possibility that white stuff on sausage is white mold. If you find a white powdery layer on your sausage during or at the end of the curing process, it can be the white mold.

However, there is nothing to worry about that. The white mold indicates that the fermentation is thriving and ready to eat. You can wipe the mold off before eating.

Benefits Of White Mold On Sausage

Benefits Of White Mold On Sausage

While it may not look appealing, white mold can actually benefit sausage. Nevertheless, it is one of the unique aspects of the product.

You can see this in a few different ways. Let’s take a look.

  • It is an excellent preservative that helps keep any excess water out of the sausage. Therefore, it prevents spoilage and increases shelf life.
  • White mold can add some additional flavor and aroma to your sausage, which you can taste and smell.
  • Some types of white mold can even help improve the sausage texture.
  • It is a living organism that helps put the lactic acid back into the sausage. Eventually, this will reduce or even eliminate any harmful bacteria that may have been introduced during the manufacturing process.
  • Sometimes white mold can be used as an identifier for certain types of sausages.

Overall, white mold is a helpful ingredient in sausage making and can add to the flavor and quality of the final product.

Can You Eat The White Mold On Sausage or Cured Meat?

white mold on sausage

Yes, you can eat the white mold on sausage, and it is completely safe. However, it depends on your personal preference.

Sometimes molds can cause food poisoning or allergy. So, you have to know if you are allergic or sensitive to penicillin. If you have such issues, you better wipe the mold off and avoid consuming the mold.

However, you may see different other types of molds on sausage too. If you notice other colors of molds, it is recommended to avoid consuming them. For example, if you find green, black, or even blue mold on your sausage with a fuzzy texture, you should throw that sausage out.

Sometimes, people may get confused with white mold with white slime. The white slime can indicate that the sausage has gone bad.

While mold usually6 accumulates on the outside of the sausage or sausage casing, it may also appear on the inside. If you see any mold inside your sausage, you should not eat it.

How Do You Remove White Mold From Sausage?

How Do You Remove White Mold From Sausage

Suppose you don’t want to eat the white mold on your sausage. You can remove it before consuming it, and there are a few ways to do it.

To remove mold from the sausage, you can dip a cloth in white vinegar and gently rub the cloth over the moldy area until the mold is gone. After that, leave some white vinegar on the sausage surface to prevent the regrowth of the mold.

However, if the mold is really stubborn, you may need to let the sausage soak in the vinegar and water solution for a few minutes before scrubbing.

Another simple way is removing the sausage casing. You can simply cut the layer using the tip of a knife. But you have to be careful as the knife’s sharp edge may also cut the meat inside the casing. If you cut the meat as well, it will fall apart and will be hard for you to cook.

Why Is There White Stuff On My Sausage?

Why Is There White Stuff On My Sausage

When you cook a clean sausage, you may see white stuff coming out. However, it is usually the mixture of coagulated proteins and fat that renders out and creates a white foamy layer on top of the meat. This is completely normal, and you don’t need to worry about that.

In fact, you can use this layer of foam to your advantage. When grilling or pan-frying sausage, use a spoon to scoop some of the foam over the top of the meat. This will help protect the sausage from drying out or burning. So next time you see that white stuff on your sausage, don’t be alarmed, it’s just rendered fat, and it’s there to help.

What Mold Grows On Sausage?

What Mold Grows On Sausage

Mold is a microscopic fungus that colonizes and grows on food because of moisture, warmth, and certain other conditions. Mold can grow on any food containing moisture, and sausage is no exception. Sausage is especially prone to mold growth because it is often stored in humid conditions.

While some molds are good, other types of mold can often produce nauseating odors and cause serious health problems.

That’s why knowing about good and harmful mold is necessary. As you already know that white molds are a good one. Let’s get to know some bad molds.

Any green and black mold on sausage are considered bad mold. You may find these molds inside the sausage too.

Final Words

If you are worried about finding white mold on your sausage, don’t be. While it’s not the most appetizing sight, it’s usually harmless and can be easily removed if you are still unsure about it and throw it out.

As you can see, there are a few different ways to deal with white mold on sausage. Ultimately, the decision is up to you. But, we recommend eating white sausage as they are not harmful.

Leave a Comment